On-line Support Group

Providing information and support for women who are experiencing Postnatal Depression, and their families.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Out-of-control

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paige

PostSubject: Out-of-control   Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:59 am

Hi My name is Paige.

I have a 5 month old baby girl and a two and a half year old boy. I was doing OK until about 2 months ago. I was realistic about the demands of a new baby and my major concern had been how my son would cope. We prepared him well and he made an amazing transition into being a big brother. This probably bolstered me initially.

The turning point was when my daughter was 3 months old. I took her for a routine Paeds appointment. I was devastated to find she was not growing well. I felt particularly bad because I was breast-feeding. The Paed said she had been hungry a lot and this started to eat me up inside. Usually I would have been able to bounce back from a blow like this but somehow it really got to me. My daughter was as happy as larry but I felt awful and could not stop thinking about it.

Gradually other feelings started to emmerge. I am indecisive, irritable and anxious. I worry obsessively about the crime and political situation. I am snappy and sometimes mean to family members. I kept putting all this down to lack-of-sleep, going back to work, or the kids being sick. I soldiered on and everyone thought I was completely in control (as usual). But deep down inside I knew something was(is) up. I do not enjoy anything anymore. Playing with my kids is a chore whereas it used to be a delight. Social gatherings are exhausting and I try to get out of them whereas usually I am a socialite. I wake up and worry for hours whilst ironically my kids sleep through!

This weekend something snapped. My husband made some innocent remark and I burst into tears. I have being crying on-and-off ever since then.I did the check list on the web site and scored 50. I have not had any thoughts about harming myself or my kids and I still feel I love them very very much. In fact my greatest concern is how this will affect them.

What makes this particularly difficult for me is that I am usually the strong one in our group of friends - always in control and giving advice. I also have a good support system - Wonderful hubby, Mom, Mom-in-law and sister-in-law. I even have a nanny and a fulltime domestic worker. This makes me feel guilty because I am so fortunate.

Will I ever feel like "me" again? How long will it take? What resources for help are available?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Christine

PostSubject: Re: Out-of-control   Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:09 pm

hi im Christine

I only recently self diagnosed myself with PND. I have read up on it and discoverd that i got all the symptoms and i was to afraid to admit. Ive been in my miarrage for 10 years now and have 3 kids. daugters 11 son 6 and baby girl 4months.

I felt insulted when my eldest told me that im becoming a real witch. I had to do something and find out why im going insane. my jeoulosy towards my husband was the only thing i could think of. I knew that my body will never be the way as before my children and he just love tiny woman with small breasts and the perfect butt and i just didnt have that any more. no matter how hard he was trying to insure me that im the only one he wants and that he accepted me just the way i am, i still feel useless and fat and ugly and worthless.

As i dont have any friends and no relatives i dont have anyone to talk to so i bolttle up inside. i still refuse to go out and days will go by before i would even comb my hair. i just dont feel like doing it.i dont legnect my children or husband but im doing everything with a heavy heart.

after my babys birth i was suppose to go back to work but instead i was retrenched and that just hit me very hard as i loved my job as graphic designer. now im at home with baby and so depressed its beating me. last week my husband and i havnt spoken 10 words to each other and that made me feel even wors.

some days i can be perfectly fine and instantly something ticks me off and im back to square one of self hatered. i dont have the means to go to a doc so im trying to treat myself. if anyone can relate to this please feel free to email me. maby talking to someone will engourage me again to become better. cdvd@webmail.co.za , i know i need help but i cant get there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.leoni.co.za
Rene R

PostSubject: OUT OF CONTROL   Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:38 pm

Ladies, I know what you going through and it is not an easy road! I have tried the self help books, the natural way, and on the 20th Dec. last year they wanted to admit me.

Do not let it go any further. Go to a psychiatrist and get the pills. It is not the answer to everything but it will help you cope - getting up in the morning, brushing your teeth, having a bath or getting dressed.

There is no words that can make the feeling go away. The only thing I can tell you is get help!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Out-of-control   

Back to top Go down

Out-of-control
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1