On-line Support Group

Providing information and support for women who are experiencing Postnatal Depression, and their families.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

help!how do you cope on a daily basis with ppd?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
megfadool

PostSubject: help!how do you cope on a daily basis with ppd?   Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:39 pm

Hello
have a baby, 4 months old and really suffering from ppd, mostly anxiety, what have other women sone to make it through each day and be happy?
meghan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Elize

PostSubject: help!how do you cope on a daily basis with ppd?   Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:31 pm

Hi
My baby is 4 and a half months old (born 01/11/2007) and I'm also suffering from mostly anxiety. I'm taking prescription medication and was admitted into psichiatric hospital twice.(Read my story - Still suffering from PND after 4 months).
I don't know how I get through the day. I dread going home after work in the afternoon, because it's better when I'm at work and my mind stays busy all the time.
The weekends are the worst because there is no set routine and my wanders a lot which means I get panick attacks more frequently. I'm very luvky to have a fantastic support system (my husband, mother-in-law and sister-in-law) although I feel very guilty that they still have to help me look after my baby and my 2 other boys. I can see that it has been taking it's toll on them.
It's only Grace from God that gets me through the days and preventing me from comitting suicide.
All I can say is, hang in there - they say it gets better.
Love, Elize
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RebelMum

PostSubject: Re: help!how do you cope on a daily basis with ppd?   Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:35 pm

I think the best thing I did to make it through each day was to give up trying to control everything. It's hard, but in the end if you realise that this little person is now deciding what gets done when, it makes it a bit easier. I stopped getting stressed about not showering for 3 days Very Happy

Getting a break is also very important, I found. We scrounged some money and paid for an au pair to come in 3 mornings a week for about 4 hours. I would either get out of the house and go for some coffee, or something fun and relaxing, or if I'd had a bad night I'd lock myself in my room and just sleep. I was really lucky to find the girl I did - I was completely open with her about my PND and she'd do lots of little things, like make me coffee! Or pick up things from the shop for me! Absolute heaven in those first few months!

If I have another child I plan to have an ARMY of helpers waiting in the wings! It makes such a difference to have little things like a clean house and someone to give you an hour or two to get some sleep or go for a soak in a bubble bath!

I know you won't believe me, but it DOES get easier as they get older. I found that 1 year I finally felt like my life might actually be normal again one day! So just hang in there...

I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help!how do you cope on a daily basis with ppd?   Today at 9:59 am

Back to top Go down

help!how do you cope on a daily basis with ppd?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1