On-line Support Group

Providing information and support for women who are experiencing Postnatal Depression, and their families.

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Does it REALLY get easier?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
joburgmom

PostSubject: Does it REALLY get easier?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:47 am

I'm the mother of a lively 14 month old boy. Most of the 14 months has been a battle, after 6 weeks he had colic and shortly after that I was diagnosed with PND and put onto medication by a psychiatrist. Things improved at 6 months when he became a little more independent. As we've moved through the milestones, there have been some incredibly good times, but also some incredibly tough times. I've found myself wondering if this really is what parenting is about - because no one tells you that!

He's just started walking and has a real personality on him. Mummy, mummy is his favourite phrase and isn't directed at me in most instances, but rather his way of communicating what he wants. He's a really special little man.

I'm off my medication now, I have been for almost 5 months and feel that I am coping well. I do have my wobbles when he is sick or teething and I'm a little short on sleep. But those never last forever, even though they feel like they might while you're going through them.

We're about to go on holiday for 2 weeks, split between Durban and Cape Town. I'm finding myself growing increasingly anxious about the holiday and coping with him full time for 2 weeks. I do enjoy being able to work in the mornings and have some time apart from him and welcome Monday mornings when I get to hand him over to his Gogo. Although there are elements that have gotten easier, there always seems to be something going on whether it be sickness or teething. I keep getting told that it does get better, and watch friends with slightly older children and see that it must get better - otherwise they are hiding it very well.

Perhaps it does get better - but how do you convince yourself of that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PNDSA

PostSubject: Re: Does it REALLY get easier?   Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:37 am

Hi there

I suppose the truth is that every age comes with it's up's and down's. I do know that the older they get, the less physically demanding it gets and obviously you get more sleep, but the truth is parenting is a non-stop, 24/7 job. Hard, but very rewarding. You will find many aspects of raising your little boy becomes easier, but then there are other parts, when he is fighting for a bit of independance, that makes it difficult again. I recon it's a bit of a sea-saw.

As for the 2week holiday, my advise to you is, pick your battles, go with the flow and enjoy being with your family. Make sure he still get's his rest when he's meant to and remember this is all new for him too.

You are doing a fabulous job. All our children really need from us is love and stability, the rest is just decorative.

Kind regards
Alnere
PNDSA
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Does it REALLY get easier?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1